The highly skilled legal team at Tekell & Tekell, L.L.P., in Waco, Texas, draws upon diverse backgrounds in areas of business law, insurance law, employment law, school law and personal injury law.
For more than 30 years, our lawyers have provided comprehensive legal representation for plaintiffs and defendants. Our legal team can provide efficient and cost-effective resolutions to your legal needs. We take a personal approach to every case to ensure our resources and energy are focused on your needs and goals. You may read about our attorneys' backgrounds, education and qualifications by viewing their profiles.
Angela Tekell has extensive experience in school law as well as in employment and civil rights law. She served as in-house counsel for a large public school district for ten years, and prior to going in-house full-time, handled civil litigation matters on both sides of the civil docket in federal and state courts.
As a school attorney, she handles issues particular to public school districts, including special education mediation and due process hearings, grievances, personnel matters, open government issues, TEA and Office of Civil Rights complaints and Title IX, harassment, discrimination, retaliation and bullying investigations. She also has experience with employment and civil rights matters, including Texas Education Code Chapter 21 contracts, non-renewals and terminations. Since she served as in-house counsel for a fast growth school district, she also has extensive experience with AIA construction and professional services contracting, management and disputes. She is also hold a Texas teaching certificate and taught high school for two years.
Before specializing in school law, Angela Tekell handled complex business, insurance, employment and civil rights litigation. She spent several years defending first party insurance claims across the state of Texas. After law school, she served for two years as a Briefing Attorney for the United States District Court for the Western District of Texas, Waco Division.
Presently, Mrs. Tekell is serving as a Trustee on the Waco ISD Board of Trustees.
Areas of Practice
- 20% Civil Litigation
- 80% Education Law
- 20% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- U.S. District Court Western District of Texas
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Baylor University School of Law, Waco, Texas
- Baylor University, Waco, Texas
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Waco-McLennan and Bell County Bar Association
- Texas Council of School Attorneys
- State Bar College
David G. Tekell has been representing clients on both sides of the Central Texas civil docket for more than 30 years. He has extensive experience in business disputes, including construction, employment and fiduciary responsibility claims, personal injury claims, direct claims against insurance companies, and claims involving deceptive trade practices. As a former Judicial Extern for the United States District Judge for the Western District of Texas, Waco Division, David Tekell is often called upon to represent parties in federal cases in the Waco Division.
Since 2007, David Tekell has written the Annual Supplements to the "Texas Deceptive Trade Practices Act (DTPA) Forms and Practice Guide,” and is often asked to speak on insurance and consumer protection issues. David Tekell also teaches a course on Consumer Protection Law as an Adjunct Professor at Baylor University School of Law.
Further, David Tekell is Board Certified in personal injury trial law and in consumer and commercial law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization.
David Tekell has appeared in federal courts from California to New Jersey, and maintains an active docket in three of the four federal districts in Texas. He is also admitted in the United States District Court in Arizona, the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit, and the United States Supreme Court.
Certified Legal Specialties
- Personal Injury Trial Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization, 2004
- Consumer & Commercial Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization, 2004
- Texas, 1986
- U.S. District Court Western District of Texas, 1988
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Texas, 1987
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Texas, 1996
- U.S. District Court District of Arizona, 1996
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit, 1987
- University of California, Hastings College of the Law, San Francisco, California
- J.D. - 1986
- Honors: David Snodgrass Moot Court Award, Best Brief, 1985
- University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California
- B.S. - 1983
- Major: Accounting
- DTPA Forms and Practice Guide Annual Supplement, James Publishing, 2008-16