Do you have questions about what to do if you're in an auto accident?
Our Waco personal injury lawyers have compiled a list of five steps to take to ensure you handle the accident appropriately.
Five Steps You Can Take
- Safety first. If you are able to move your vehicle out of harm's way, do so immediately. If you are not able, turn off the engine, put on the hazard lights, stay buckled in your seat belt, call an emergency or police number and wait for emergency personnel to arrive. Allow medical professionals and emergency personnel to help you. If you experience pain or discomfort after the accident, seek medical care.
- Call the police. Even if the accident appears minor, it is still advisable to have a police officer write a crash report. Make sure you get the police officer's name, badge number, and an incident or case number.
- Exchange information with the other driver. Obtain the other driver's name, driver's license number, license plate number, make and model of the car, insurance company name, policy number and a phone number for filing an insurance claim.
- Document the accident. You can take pictures of your car and the other car with your cellphone camera or even a disposable camera you keep in your car. Take pictures from a series of angles. Obtain the names and contact information of witnesses.
- Contact your insurance company. If you decide to hire a personal injury trial lawyer, your attorney can make this contact on your behalf. If you do not hire an attorney, be careful not to agree to a quick settlement with an insurance company before you have received appropriate medical treatment.